Saturday, February 09, 2008

Return of the Boom Bap

I was on hand for the grand homecoming of KG last Friday night at the Target Center. Actually, I was late in getting to the arena and missed his Groundhog Day-like cameo. Word on the street is that he saw his shadow and quickly scurried back to the locker room.


Anyhow, I was more amused at the different reactions around town:

  • Pat Reusse gives a detailed account of the limited interaction had with the media at the Target Center, then reminds fans that KG was at best the second greatest basketball player in MN hoops history.

  • Jim Souhan attempts to persuade the hordes of casual fans out there that this trade was necessary and will be for the better in the long run. Then he follows it up with another column in an attempt to prove how ignorant and narrow sighted these casual fans are. He makes two good points out of thirteen.

  • Britt Robson calls out all the homers who are overpraising our return on the KG trade

However, I think my favorite reaction comes from old Sid Hartman, mostly because it reminds me Grandpa Simpson's nonsensical rants everytime I read his column. Check out this "jotting":

Rest assured, the Twins will show a lot more appreciation for what Hunter did for the club when he returns in an Angels uniform than the Timberwolves did when Kevin Garnett returned with the Celtics on Friday night. Garnett was introduced, got a fantastic standing ovation and the scoreboard read "Thanks for the memories." Wolves owner Glen Taylor didn't think any more was necessary and that the club would honor KG when he retires. One other thing is for sure, the Wolves made a much better deal when they traded Garnett than the Twins did for Johan Santana.

After Torii Hunter's parting shots, I'm not so sure the Twins will be rolling out the red carpet for Torii when he returns. Now Sid has been around for a while and has quite the number of contacts in the local and national sporting community, but I sometimes feel he takes every canned, PR-approved statement or response way to literally. If I were his family, I would worry about him being scammed by telemarketers pretty easily. If I were a telemarketer, I'd be working hard to get his contact info.

No comments: