Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Construction Junction, What's Your Function?

UPDATE!
I was having problems formatting the pictures in this post, and then they just stopped showing and came up with those little red X's. Here's a link to a Photobucket album instead. The good news is I've included more photos in this album, so go ahead and take another look.

*****

I made some trips around town with my camera recently and thought I would share some construction pics. The first one was taken of the 35W bridge construction from the pedestrian bridge that connects the U of M East and West Banks. You can't really see too much, but I didn't feel like biking over the 10th Ave bridge (the one blocking the view). It was taken about a month ago, so progress has moved along considerably since then. These guys are working around the clock and are on track to be 3 months ahead of schedule. The last report I read had a September 15th opening date.

The next nine photos are of the new Gophers football stadium. These were taken on the same day as the bridge photo, so they are a bit outdated. If you check the webcams here and here, you'll see the brick work is well underway, there's more precast seating bowl pieces installed, and the steel frame is almost complete. In fact, all steelwork is scheduled to be complete in June. They said that by the fall, all of the brick work and windows will be installed and the interior of the stadium will be inclosed. In other words, it will really start looking like a functioning football stadium this fall; minus the field turf, scoreboard, lights, and the seats. But those are just minor details.

The last few pictures were taken at the Twins ballpark site about ten days ago. You can see the structure really starting to take shape in right field, and the plaza is nearly complete. I could go on and on about this ballpark, but I'd only be plagiarizing everything I read over at TwinsBallpark2010.com. I highly recommend checking it out.

Click on the pictures for full size photos.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

Nice photos Chris! I'm totally stoked to check out all the new construction when I get home - much of which will be finished (ie. bridge). Can't wait for the new lightrail too... : )

Jessie said...

Really? they're trying to rush the building of the bridge? I feel they should really take their time on that one. I guess if they're just a head of schedule, thats ok. but still not something I'd want to advertise